What you need:IceRock saltQuart sized sandwich bagsGallon sized freezer bagsMilkVanillaSugarPatience
- Fill a gallon sized bag for each person about halfway with ice and rock salt, seal them up and put them somewhere cold.(like the freezer if you’re indoors or the ice chest if you’re outside)
- For each person put 1/2 cup of milk, 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla in a quart size bag and seal it.
- Put the little bag into the big bag, make sure both are sealed well.
- Shake it up! It takes about 10 minutes for your “ice cream” to get to a consistency similar to soft serve. You can eat it right out of the bag. Make sure you shake it and mix it well or you’ll get pockets of sugar that are gritty.
What you need:A jar with a lidA glow stick or flashlightBraverySpeed
- Clean a jar. My favorites are Ball Quart sized jars, but you can use any jar….mayonnaise jars are also nice.
- Poke very small holes in the lid. Grown-ups should do this carefully. Don’t make the holes too big or your little friends will escape early!
- Scout out a place beforehand. You’ll want to arrive around dusk. Fireflies are easiest to catch in the hour after sunset. If you don’t see a lot in your backyard you may need to go somewhere else like a park.
- Embark on your adventure with your glow stick and jar. Try not to produce too much ambient light or you won’t see the little guys. When you find one scoop him up with the jar using your left hand and put the lid on quickly with your right hand before he can get out.
- Catch as many as you can, take a picture. Let them back out before too long, it’s not nice to keep them cooped up forever.
On July 3rd Martin Nature Park is hosting Firefly Fun. Registration is required, you can register by calling 405-755-0676 Meet up, catch fireflies, let them all out at once. The experience is worth the $2 fee! More information available at: http://www.okc.gov/parks/martin_park/index.html
EyesA blanketA sense of wonder