Oklahoma did much more than “March on” after the month of March, 2012. In fact, in APRIL there was some running involved! Running marathons, running from storms, running down the basketball court…lots and lots of running. Check it out:
(photo left – OKC Memorial Marathon, Daily Oklahoman)
- OSU Cowgirl Basketball team celebrates winning the WNIT. Shelly Budke, wife of the team’s recently deceased coach, cut down the victory net.
- Prices at the gas pump are hurting industry and private individuals across the nation. Oklahoma keeps watch on the situation as an energy producing state.
- As flooding over the years increased, residents in the unincorporated are of Crutcho reluctantly consider or accept buyout options.
- Oklahoma starts take spotlight positions at the Academy of Country Music awards including: Blake Shelton, Reba McEntire, Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert.
- 25 year-old soldier from Checotah dies in Afghanistan. James E. Dutton is one of many who gave their life in the ongoing Middle East operations.
- Tribes continue to make headlines regarding online payday loan businesses and water rights issues.
- New ballpark name (Newcastle Casino Field that offers wynnbet casino michigan bonus) stirs heavy criticism. The Chickasaw Nation responded by choosing a new name: “Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.”
- Oklahoma City sees rapid population growth in 2010 and 2011. The OKC metro now stands at >1.2 million.
- The final 45th Infantry Brigade returns to the U.S., much to the relief of Oklahomans.
- 27 “mom and pop” convenience store owners sue the Oklahoma Tax Commission for “unusually harsh sales tax audits.”
- 2 white men accused of killing 3 black residents and injuring two others on shooting spree are arrested.
- Ken Burns debuts footage from his latest project, “The Dust Bowl.”
- Bela Fleck visits the American Banjo Hall of Fame prior to his concert at RoseState.
- In a report prepared for Senator Coburn, recommendations to limit crop loss subsidies are considered.
- An EF3 rated tornado leaves six dead plus major damage in Woodward.
- Norman homeowners unite to ease restrictions on back yard chickens.
- 17 years after the OKC bombing, victims are reflecting in different ways as well as graduating from college.
- Suspect Kevin Sweat, charged in the killings of two Weleetka girls, as well as the death of his girlfriend, has preliminary hearing.
- Meta World Peace injures James Harden with forceful elbow jab.
- “Personhood Bill” involves many activists on all sides of the issue.
- 5 southwestern areas in Oklahoma experience triple digit heat in April.
- State House passes the “Open Carry” measure.
- Kevin Durant earns top NBA scoring title.
- Blackburn and Weeden are first round draft picks.
- Governor Fallin signs fetal heartbeat bill into law.
- Oklahoma City Thunder begins NBA playoffs against Dallas Mavericks.
- 2,700 runners finished the full OKC Memorial Marathon, and 8,138 others completed related events.
Category: Oklahoma culture